As a web designer and developer, I need as much help as I can when viewing websites to make sure that they look good on lots of different platforms. One of the biggest tools I use is being able to see a website when viewed by a mobile visitor. Without this, I would be “flying blind” when it comes to viewing mobile sites, or I would have to refresh my screen all the time. Here’s how to switch the user agent when working with Google Chrome (which is my browser of choice).
- Click the “Customize” button in the upper right hand corner
- Hover over “Tools” and click “Developer Tools”
- Click the “Settings” icon in the lower right hand corner
- Click the “Overrides” link in the left hand column
- Click the checkbox next to “User Agent” and then select your platform
- For iPhone settings I have found it best to click the checkbox next to “Device metrics” and change the screen resolutions to 320 X ???
- Click refresh on your screen